Nama saya adalah Ela. Saya berusia tujuh belas tahun. Saya bukan Muslim,




I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist. 

My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through. 

My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.

And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.

All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.

This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.

People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.

via tumbler

Just a scarf makes things different! 




Syukran jiddan ..sudi baca entry nie


15 comments

5 Disember 2012 pada 8:18 PTG

She look nice in that scarf.Although it just an experiment..but totally she can learn something about being a Muslim/Muslimah..
We are not terrorist...

5 Disember 2012 pada 8:33 PTG

MasyaAllah..^^, May Allah give them Hidayah.. :)

5 Disember 2012 pada 8:34 PTG

oh tersentuh hati...
Just because of our look, they judge us like kentang goreng.

Apa yang membezakan kita adalah attitude bukan religion.

5 Disember 2012 pada 9:46 PTG

most of them have been influenced with the wrong notion by the media..and their first impression comes from what they read in the news..muslim-->terrorist..muslims are kind, generous, loving and helpful people. america is the one that should be labelled as terrorist.

5 Disember 2012 pada 11:12 PTG

yang jahat itu orang, bukan agama. yay saya pengikut ke 2000... nak hadiah hehehe

5 Disember 2012 pada 11:36 PTG

@Prince of Noob Kejahatan dalam hati manusia bermula dengan pemikiran yang rosak binasa.

ok yay jugak! syukur alhamdulillah ,nak hadiah? kejap pikir nak bg hadiah ape.. ^_^

terima kasih tau..tau.

5 Disember 2012 pada 11:56 PTG

hehehe sebenarnya dah lama follow, saje je buat nak kasik dapat no. 2000 kekeke

6 Disember 2012 pada 12:00 PG

@Prince of Noob tahu dah.. takpe usaha itu penting. patut dihargai. :)

6 Disember 2012 pada 8:19 PG

wah tahniah dah 2000 follower..taktik noob menjadi:)..boleh buat GA ni

6 Disember 2012 pada 12:38 PTG

:)..insyaAllah islam akan terus terpelihara ...usah peduli apa org kata....sebab mereka tidak memahami islam...

7 Disember 2012 pada 9:01 PG

Islam itu indah untuk yang mengetahui, so it's quite pathetic untuk yang tidak menghargainya. Thank You Allah sebab aku dilahirkan sebagai seorang muslim.

8 Disember 2012 pada 1:23 PG

@Watercolour Bukannya ISLAM itu tak cukup indah, kita cuma tersalah cara dalam method penyampaiannya menyebabkan orang membenci kita dan Islam

8 Disember 2012 pada 1:24 PG

@myfreeminded Islam mmg indah..,muslimnya belum tentu.

8 Disember 2012 pada 1:25 PG

@nazha anua syukran :) insyaallah incoming .

10 Disember 2012 pada 4:33 PTG

@??? Si Pipi Merah

itu yang kena usaha, menjadi yang trbaik untuk yg trbaik..

Catat Ulasan
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Full Edit By Nabila Medan. All Right Reserved To Me.